Full Time – Grant Funded
Grade / Salary
Grade 10 / Level 1: $60,300 per year
35 per wk
12 months, with the possibility of extension
The university-community Partnership “21st Century Tools for Indigenous Languages” (21c.tools), a project funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) of Canada, is seeking a dynamic individual as a full-time Software Developer to add to its team in the Alberta Language Technology Lab (ALTLab: altlab.ualberta.ca) at the University of Alberta.
This Partnership aims to develop computational models of the sound, word, and sentence structure (phonology, morphology, syntax, and lexis) of Indigenous languages in Canada and North America, starting with the Algonquian and Dene language families, to create software applications that support their continued use in daily life by both speakers and learners. These include intelligent electronic dictionaries, spell-checkers, linguistically analyzed text collections, computer-aided language learning tools, as well as basic speech technology and optical character recognition, among others. Current versions of some of these tools and their codebase can be found here: https://21c.tools/resources/ and https://github.com/UAlbertaALTLab – the latest is: itwêwina: itwewina.altlab.app
Responsibilities and tasks
- Development of new technologies (websites, web services, general software applications and programs, mobile applications, see: Skills required for more details)
- Maintenance of existing projects
- Writing and maintaining package code
- Writing new programs/scripts as needed to solve linguist problems
- Overseeing undergraduate interns and student teams implementing course projects
- Communicating with stakeholders (linguists, Indigenous language community members, other developers)
- Collaborating across teams within the Partnership
- Writing papers, disseminating work and new ideas
- Documenting code and design decisions
- Django, Django REST, React
- Sqlite3, nginx, gunicorn, uwsgi
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of a language other than English
Skills that are nice to have
- Experience with kivy/buildozer
- Experience supervising and supporting other developers
- Knowledge about linguistics
- Knowledge or awareness of FSTs (finite state transducers)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field. Having a Master’s in the field is an asset.
- Knowledge of a language other than English is required
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with production-level Python, Django, and Django REST
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with mobile development software, Android and iOS. Knowledge of Kivy and/or buildozer is an asset.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with version control software, such as GitHub
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with containerized services, such as Docker
- Experience working with audio analysis and synthesis is an asset
- Experience with recording extraction and sound technologies is an asset
- Experience with Linux command line is an asset
How to apply?
Please send to: email@example.com
- An application/cover letter and a curriculum vitae/résumé outlining your competences with respect to the requirements and tasks noted above
- Examples of previous work, such as a link to your public GitHub, and/or a link to websites in production that you have contributed to significantly
- The names and contact details of at least two referees knowledgeable in your skills and background whom we may get in touch with for more information.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
The position is open until filled. We will start reviewing applications starting on December 6, 2023
For further information and questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.